Monday 16 January 2017

Luscious Peaches - and two peach recipes

This year my minuscule, dwarf, peach tree is simply dripping with peaches, I have lost count of the number.  I planted the tree just 18 months ago and my first harvest consisted of only four so it is a thrill this year to go out each day and pick one or more perfect, sun ripened peaches all warm and downy and, well, peachy. Of course it is a battle to beat the birds, who love peaches as much as I do, so I have set up an intricate system of bird netting and screens to protect my precious fruit.  So far, so good.
My morning's harvest
 This delectable fruit is a real taste of summer, and the best way to eat it is fresh from the tree.
Sometimes, just for a change, I like to use them in a recipe. This peach dessert is a favourite of mine.

GRILLED PEACHES

Halve and stone the peaches and place cut side down on a tray
Dab with butter and grill until just starting to brown or bubble.  Don't worry if the peaches get a little scorched, the scorched skin will peel away easily. You do need to keep watch, though.
Turn the peaches over and drizzle with honey.
Place a dollop of cream cheese in the hollow where the stone was.
Place back under the grill until the cheese is just starting to brown
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Serve with a scattering of walnuts.

You could vary this recipe in lots of ways and  maybe even cook it on the barbeque.  Try it with maple syrup instead of honey or leave out the cream cheese and serve with cream or ice cream.  I have also made it with brown sugar and coconut threads but prefer  honey and cream cheese. It is surprisingly delicious for something so simple


My grilled peaches with cream cheese and walnuts...mmmm!
One of the most famous peach recipes is the Bellini, a cocktail invented in 1948 by  Giuseppe Cipriani, the founder of Harry's Bar in Venice. This is a decadent, summery, girly drink.  Perhaps I should put a Bellini at Harry's Bar on my bucket list, now there's a romantic, dreamy thought!

BELLINI

White peaches skinned and blended to a smooth pulp
Sugar syrup
Prosecco

Blend peaches, sieve and then refrigerate the pulp.
Blend with 1 part sugar syrup to 2 parts peach puree.
Pour 20mls of the puree into a champagne flute and top with the prosecco.  Stir well just before serving.  Warning: It's impossible to have just one!

Enjoy!  The peach season is short but worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment