Wednesday 13 May 2015

Some of my favourite travel quotes

Village in Namibia
I blame, or I should say, I thank, my parents for my life long travel bug.  When I was 14 years old they took me and three of my brothers, to the United Kingdom to live for six months before setting off on an eight month tour of the UK and Europe.  It was the trip of a lifetime and I will be eternally grateful to them for the experience and the endlessly itchy feet I have had ever since.  I love to travel.  Apart from the joy of discovering new destinations I have a deep and abiding fascination with the different peoples, cultures and cuisines of the world. There is so much to see and so little time!
Portofino, Italy

Today I thought it would be fun to make a list of some of my favourite travel quotes:

"I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move" Robert Louis Stevenson, Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes

"Not all those who wander are lost" J R R Tolkein, The Fellowship of the Ring

"If you reject the food, ignore the custom, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home" James A Michener

"Travel makes one modest.  You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world"
Gustave Flaubert

"I heard an airplane passing overhead. I wished I was on it" Charles Bukowski

"Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote and I know I shall be happily infected until the end of my life"  Michael Palin

"The world is a book and those who don't travel only read one page" St Augustine

"Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going" Paul Theroux

"The life you have led doesn't need to be the only life you have" Anna Quindlen

"Once a year go somewhere you have never been before" Dalai Lama

....and I am taking the Dalai Lama's advice and heading off on an exciting adventure next week.  I  will have plenty to write about when I get back in a couple of weeks time.  Happy travels everyone! 
(photos on all my blog posts are my own unless stated otherwise)
Miyajima, Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment